1) Being a leader at the intersection of Education and Social Justice. 2) Being granted the favour of having such a title as Mother. 3) I AM a breast cancer Thriver!
1. Completing my degree while working full time and putting myself through university, doing my dream job as a flight attendant, starting the Black Queens of Durham Region
My top three accomplishments would include: 1.) Building and sustaining Canadas leading online magazine for Black Canadians over the last decade. Im proud of how much ByBlacks.com has contributed to helping our community see itself in greatness. 2.) Building that business together with my husband, AND building two other family businesses, AND raising our two children AND still remaining happily married! 🙂 3.) Going from giving out free advice at conferences to becoming one of the most highly sought-after racial equity educators in Canada, helping some of the biggest organizations in the world such as Google, re-imagine their workplaces through an anti-racist lens.
One is parenting. I learned so many lessons while bringing up my son in Canada. Being a very young new parent, this proved very challenging as I navigate the type of systemic discrimination we experienced as immigrants in the 70’s and beyond. Those lessons however, strengthened my resolve and I am proud to say it served me very well as I mentor and counsel my two grand daughters and the many members of my teams throughout the years. Another, is my success in the corporate world where I achieved many successes and awards. At times, I was the only black and female in many situations. For eg I was one of five women and the only black in my 1990 Executive MBA program. Developing a strong sense of self actualization is another accomplishment that I am very proud of since it gave me a toolkit to be used in my day to day life.
Starting My Speaking Career as A Teenage Mother, Mentoring over 300 young women, Mentoring My Fellow Survivors To Become Revolutionary Speakers.
I am proud to have raised 3 very independent girls. Althea, Pamela and Breann. All are university/college graduates with jobs in their fields. I believe they are my three major accomplishment. When speaking of academic or professional accomplishments, completing my Masters of Science in Nursing and a Masters Certificate in Health Care management and becoming a Certified Healthcare Executive rank up there with being appointed the Vice President of Clinical Operations and the Chief Nurse Executive at the Center for Addictions and Mental Health. I’ve also receive the Alumni of distinction award from the University of Wester Ontario one of 10 recipients in 100 years.
1. I am the CEO and Director of a Multiple Six Figure income business 2. My message and platform has inspired over 10,000 people around the world 3. I have been recognized by the BBC as an Advocate for women and nominated as a woman of inspiration in Canada
My top 3 major accomplishments as at today are (1) the Creator of the femImmiGRANTS, a grant opportunity in its 2nd season specifically for black female entrepreneurs in Canada; (2) the Creator and Strategist for the iLaunchHERproduct aimed at connecting women-owned businesses with big box retail stores in Canada; (3) the Co-Organizer of the Rise Up Pitch Competition, a national grant program for black female entrepreneurs in Canada that attracted over 700 entrepreneur applicants during the wave of Covid-19
1. Queens Jubilee diamond recipient for humanitarian efforts
2. Sitting on the Pickering Accessibility board
3. W.R.A.C. award for outstanding efforts assisting abused woman and children
Bachelor in Social Science & Psychology from the University of Ottawa. Crime Prevention Ottawa Award Finalist Recipient. Business Owner