LabourStart Canada – Society of United Professionals
Just a quick note that will interest those of you who are looking for a staff position with a union. The Society of United Professionals, IFPTE Local 160, is looking for a Senior Financial Officer for its office in Toronto. They have asked us to get the word out and so below is the posting for the position.
SOCIETY OF UNITED PROFESSIONALS
Job Posting – Research Officer
The Society of United Professionals, IFPTE Local 160, is seeking a Research Officer to support a broad range of union activities including collective bargaining, organizing, policy development, campaigns and strategic planning.
The successful applicant will have a minimum of:
- A Bachelor’s degree in, or equivalent experience related to, economics, business, industrial relations, political science, public policy or equivalent; and,
- Three years of related experience in such areas as financial analysis, advocacy/applied research and labour relations.
The successful applicant will also have:
- Experience in quantitative research including the ability to interpret technical data and apply mathematical/statistical procedures;
- The ability to perform applied research and critical policy analysis in an advocacy environment;
- The ability to prepare detailed benchmarking and analysis for wages and other employment terms;
- An understanding of basic accounting concepts, corporate finance, and economics;
- The ability to research corporate structure and evaluate corporate financial reports and business plans;
- An understanding of the existing labour relations framework and the collective bargaining process;
- The ability to prepare and present briefs and reports based on a wide range of technical and policy-related research;
- A highly developed writing and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate complex analyses and issues to a wide range of audiences;
- The ability to organize and prioritize conflicting tasks and assignments independently and respect established timelines;
- The ability to maintain confidentiality in dealing with sensitive industry and Society information; and
- A commitment to the labour movement and/or other social and economic justice issues.
This permanent, unionized position, located in Toronto, comes with very competitive salary, pension and benefits. The job is based on a 35-hour week, Monday to Friday, with occasional requirement for travel and evening and weekend work.
Applications should include a cover letter, resume and references. Please submit applications by October 9, 2018 to David Empey, Staff Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Research Officer Application”.